PRP is a treatment used widely in the cosmetic and beauty industry to support healing through the extraction of the patients blood.
Why is blood needed?
Blood mainly consists of a liquid known as ‘plasma’ which consists of small solid components made up of red and white blood cells, in addition to ‘platelets’. Platelets are commonly known for their ability to clot blood however, they also contain hundreds of proteins known as ‘growth factors’.
These growth factors help promote healing as they encourage cells to migrate towards an injured or affected area in the body. As a result of this, there are several things PRP is used for as shown below:
PRP can be used to treat tendinitis, partial tendon tears, ligament injuries and osteoarthritis.
PRP can be used for hair restoration for those suffering from baldness and Alopecia.
PRP can be used for facials to improve the appearance of skin (also known as the ‘vampire facial’ as used by Kim Kardashian).
Recently, dentist have been using PRP treatment to increase cell growth.
So, how exactly does it work?
There are a few steps taken from the time you extract the blood to inserting the solution in to the patients problem area.
Around 30-60 mm of blood is collected, usually from the patients arm, similar to a simple blood test procedure.
The extracted blood is then placed into a rapidly rotating machine known as a centrifuge, where the platelet rich plasma is separated from the other components in the blood. This usually forms a ‘gold’ layer on top of the blood.
The platelets are then injected into the injured or area in need e.g bald spot, tendon, gums etc. Ultrasound guidance is generally used for accuracy.
These help to stimulate recovery or restoration by:
- Enhancing collagen production
- Increasing tendon stem cell production
- Activating tendon cells to produce collagen
- Stimulating blood flow
- Making cartilage more firm and resilient
In addition to improving the appearance of skin, healing injuries or restoring hair growth, there are several other benefits to having PRP treatment done.
- PRP helps to reduce scarring: For people who have been through surgeries, such a face lift surgery, PRP can be used to help decrease the appearance of these scars as well as tackling acne scars.
- PRP can help you gain a speedy recovery. PRP therapy increases the number of platelets in the tissues, which can help speed healing for a faster recovery after surgery.
- PRP is 100% natural. No chemicals or foreign substances are used. It is just your OWN blood.
- No going under the knife/ it is a non-invasive procedure which means it is less painful, quicker and more affordable.
- PRP reports to have lasting effects, so it is a good investment.
PRP has many benefits and with the rise of non-surgical procedures, it is an affordable alternative to treat several problems. Below is a video demonstrating the process a little more for a PRP facial (vampire facial).